REM74: In-depth research and the latest news
Inside RAIL EXPRESS magazine No. 169.
In the bumper June 2010 issue:
• Comment: The last few weeks have seen a mad dash by retailers to link up with manufacturers to produce any remaining locomotives not already claimed – we report on news of 4mm scale Classes 76 & 77, the ‘Blue Pullman’ and LMS/EE ‘twins’ Nos. 10000 & 10001.
• News: Pre-production samples of our BR blue Class 03s have arrived. There are also full details of the latest announcements, which includes Co-Bos, EM1/EM2s, ‘Blue Pullman’ and LMS ‘twins’.
• Reviews: Hot on the heels of its tasty little Class 86 reviewed last issue, Welsh firm Dapol has produced the Class 58 freight loco in ‘N’. We also investigate the firm’s new small scale ‘Silver Bullet’. Meanwhile, in 4mm scale, Dapol has released the Tiphook Rail ‘Pocket’ container wagon, while Bachmann’s much anticipated MBA ‘Monster’ box has also arrived. Finally, several other new models are reviewed, including Hornby’s latest DVT pack, representing a Wrexham & Shropshire Class 67+DVT combination. Plus new products from ZTC and Graham Farish. All are examined.
• Research: Another interesting commodity guide from freight expert David Ratcliffe. This feature concentrates on the movement of whisky within Scotland and across the rest of the network.
• Modelling: Chris Ibbotson builds a Bratchell Class 455/9 kit to represent a South West Trains inner-suburban example. This colourful EMU is easy to build but not so easy to paint and finish!
• Exhibition diary: DEMU’s annual Showcase Event is previewed – a must visit event for all diesel & electric era modellers. We also take a look at the line up for the Chatham event, which includes Mostyn.
• Serial: Work is progressing well on the new hidden sidings for the Barrowmore MRG’s Mostyn layout. 40 new ‘P4’ copperclad turnouts were built in just six weeks. Check them out here.
On sale via subscription and specialist distribution (May 28th) or from your local newsagent (June 1st).