REM61: European Union
Inside RAIL EXPRESS magazine No. 156.
In the May issue:
• News: Hornby shows off pre-production samples of its new Class 395 ‘Javelin’ EMU model, Graham Farish announces new liveries on its Class 66 model and two new books are previewed covering wagon modelling and Scottish layout projects.
• Reviews: The first full review of Heljan’s long awaited ‘OO’ gauge ‘Clayton’ model comes to some interesting conclusions, even before the widely reported motor issues came to light. Respected modellers Peter Johnson and Tony Wood have gone into great detail and their words are required reading before making a purchase. We also take a look at Dapol’s new ‘N’ gauge DVT which heralds a raft of WCML products.
• Detailing: ‘The finest representation of a Class 47 yet produced’ was how we described the ViTrains model. Complementing our main magazine feature on the popular Railfreight Distribution European livery we take two models and give them a major upgrade and repaint to represent Nos. 47186 Catcliffe Demon and 47228 axial.
• Exhibitions: There’s plenty of shows to visit if you are looking for a day out in May. Two of the biggest and best are previewed – the ‘EM’ Gauge Society’s main annual exhibition (at Bracknell Leisure Centre not Bletchley as advertised) and the Risborough & District Railex gathering in Aylesbury. There’s plenty of superb diesel modelling to see including several previously featured layouts.
• Serial: The Mostyn extention boards have been completed so now is the time to start the preliminary wiring. With the soldering iron dusted off, a simple job transforms into a major upgrade as the decision is made to improve the existing wiring at the same time… but the benefits should be well worth the effort.