REM44: The best D&E era modelling, whatever the era
FREE with RAIL EXPRESS magazine No. 139:
• News: RAIL EXPRESS Modeller reveals its next special edition model in conjunction with Dapol, which will be a 4mm scale version of the BREL Mk. 3b Driving Van Trailer (DVT). Heljan shows the first images of its ‘O’ Gauge split-headcode Class 37, while in ‘OO’, Geoffrey Allison takes delivery of its limited edition model of Class 37/4 No. 37425 in EWS celebrity large logo livery. Chivers promises an MDV mineral wagon in 4mm.
• Reviews: Our big review this month looks at Hornby’s all-new Type 5 freight locomotive, the Romanian and BREL Doncaster/Crewe- constructed Class 56s. How does it square up to the Margate firm’s previous heavy hauling Class 60 locomotive, a landmark when released at the end of 2005. REM also tuns its attention towards Dapol’s ‘N’ gauge Class 35 ‘Hymek’ diesel hydraulic. There is also a quick look at Aristocraft’s (Bachmann) new 1/29 scale Class 66 loco.
• Features: With the Warley club celebrating its 40th year, RAIL EXPRESS visits Peter Johnson’s ‘EM’ Canada Road layout and turns the spotlight on the locos that were in operation in the year 1967.
• Exhibitions: We preview the National Model Railway Exhibition at the NEC on December 1st and 2nd and the diesel and electric friendly Wigan show on December 8th and 9th.
• Serial: The Barrowmore group look back over a couple of superb back-to-back exhibitions that Mostyn took part in during October, and also show off their latest modelling project, a set of etches for the BRCW Class 104 DMUs.
• Others: Rod Stewart is loud and proud about his hobby in Model Railroader magazine. SS3 takes a look at this fascinating story and incredible US layout, and also takes a wry look at some of the funny model railway stories and happenings from the last few weeks.